The Project Engineer is involved in the design of slurry pump and pipeline systems, mine backfill systems, and related equipment and processing in the mining industry, ranging from concept development through to detailed design and commissioning and will have previously completed at least three years of relevant engineering work experience.
- Design of mining related systems, under the general supervision of a more senior engineer, including the following:
- Hydraulic analysis and design of pump and pipeline systems
- Process design
- Mechanical design
- Liaison with civil, electrical and C&I sub-consultants
- Selection and specification of system components (pumps, piping, valves, instrumentation, etc.)
- Technical communication, including specification and report writing and presentations
- Manage a wide range of projects simultaneously, including preparing proposals, planning, financial budgeting and controls, attending on-site meetings and client liaison
- Contribute as part of a project team and perform tasks in projects.
- Apply technical knowledge and skills to perform engineering tasks and problem solving in engineering projects
- Continuously develop knowledge, understanding and skills associated with relevant engineering projects systems and the mining and resources industries
- Start to develop a client base and start to market for new work
- Continuous learning and professional development will be required to remain up to date with current practices and technology
Qualifications & Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in mechanical, civil, or chemical engineering
- Registered as a Candidate Engineer / Technologist with ECSA and working towards professional registration
- At least 3 years’ previous engineering work experience
- No criminal record (due to client, travel and site requirements)
- A valid passport and driver's licence
- A government-issued COVID-19 vaccine certificate
- Able and willing to travel locally and internationally, when required
- Initiative – ability to take initiative and be pro-active
- Accountability – ability to take ownership, accountability, assume responsibility and commit to an outcome
- Planning & Coordinating – ability to structure, prioritise and coordinate tasks
- Detail orientated – ability to produce work at a high level of definition and to a high standard
- Productivity & Output – ability to work at a high level of productivity and adapt to organisational and project productivity requirements
- Judgment – ability to make the right judgment call within the context of a situation or problem.
- Creativity & Innovation – ability to show originality in thought, be solutions driven and generate innovative solutions
- Resourcefulness – ability to extract relevant information pertaining to a situation
- Relationship building – ability to forge relationships with colleagues and clients
- Interactive Sensitivity – ability to show insight into others’ emotions, feelings, motives and behaviour
- Communication – ability to communicate clearly and professionally
- Adapting – ability to adapt to change and deal with one’s own emotions under stressful conditions
A Career with Paterson & Cooke
Paterson & Cooke is an international specialist engineering firm known for high quality work and exceeding client expectations, often with innovative solutions. Our people enjoy the challenge of living up to this standard daily and a workplace that allows each employee to thrive. We balance a demanding, rewarding workload with consideration for work-life balance. We encourage employees to expand their knowledge through employer supported training courses and on-site experience. With nine offices covering five continents and an international clientele, Paterson & Cooke provides opportunities for our employees to travel the world. Our size enables our employees to make a difference in the company and opens opportunities for career growth. Our aim is to create an environment in which everyone is pleased to come to work each morning.
Please send the following:
Subject Line: Project Engineer Position
- Academic transcripts
- Your Curriculum Vitae and contactable references
- A covering letter explaining why you are the right candidate for the job.