The Junior Engineer (Mechanical) is involved in the design and development of mining process equipment and related processes in the mining industry, ranging from concept development through to detailed design and commissioning and will generally have less than three years previous engineering work experience.
- Design of mining process equipment, under close supervision of a more senior engineer, including the following:
- Concept development of novel process equipment
- PLC programming / software programming
- Mechanical design
- Selection and specification of system components (valves, instrumentation, electronic hardware etc.)
- Basic supply chain management
- Technical communication, including specification and report writing and presentations
- Assist with laboratory development work during training and as further needs arise
- Contribute as part of a project team and perform tasks in projects
- Travel to mining sites locally and international to commission process equipment
- Apply technical knowledge and skills to perform engineering tasks and problem solving in engineering projects, under close supervision by a more senior engineer
- Continuously develop knowledge, understanding and skills associated with relevant engineering projects systems and the mining and resources industries.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in mechanical or electromechanical engineering
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Candidate Engineer / Technologist with ECSA
- Strong computer skills, especially spreadsheets (Excel) and word-processing (Word). CAD and FEA would be an added advantage
- Strong communication skills, especially technical report writing and oral presentations
- No criminal record (due to client, travel and site requirements)
- A valid passport and driver's licence
- Able and willing to travel locally and internationally, when required
A Career with Paterson & Cooke
Paterson & Cooke is an international specialist engineering firm known for high quality work and exceeding client expectations, often with innovative solutions. Our people enjoy the challenge of living up to this standard daily and a workplace that allows each employee to thrive. In the Cape Town office, we balance a demanding, rewarding workload with consideration for work-life balance. We encourage employees to expand their knowledge through employer supported training courses and on-site experience. With nine offices covering five continents and an international clientele, Paterson & Cooke provides opportunities for our employees to travel the world. Our size enables our employees to make a difference in the company and opens opportunities for career growth. Our aim is to create an environment in which everyone is pleased to come to work each morning.
Please send the following:
Subject Line: Junior Engineer (Mechanical) Position
- Academic transcripts
- Your Curriculum Vitae and contactable references
- A covering letter explaining why you are the right candidate for the job.