The successful candidate will be an Engineer with 5+ years of experience working in an industrial plant or mine site environment. The Backfill/Process Operations Engineer will have a background in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering or mineral processing and should be equally comfortable working in a plant or underground environment. This position is part of the operations support group within our growing Sudbury office. The work will involve short (1-2 week) to medium term travel (1-2 months) to domestic and international mine sites and will include the following tasks:
- Plant/process system start-up, commissioning and training assistance
- On-site troubleshooting of backfill plants, process systems, underground distribution systems, etc.
- Operations reviews, risk assessments and gap analysis
- Process equipment audits and solution support
- Engineering support for scoping and feasibility level studies
- Backfill and process management system reviews and development
- Backfill and process procedure development
- Technical communication, including report writing and presentations.
- Lead by example on site; practicing safe behaviour and habits
- Perform at a high-level of quality and productivity within an engineering consulting firm and as part of an operations focused team
- Application of technical skills to perform problem solving and engineering tasks
- Ongoing professional development.
The successful candidate will have above-average abilities to meet the high standards set by our Company.
Minimum Requirements and Competencies
- BSc engineering degree completed in minimum time. Master’s degree would be considered an asset
- Relevant non-engineering qualifications may be considered
- Registered as a professional engineer in Ontario or eligible for registration within two years
- At least five years’ experience in an industrial plant, mine site or plant metallurgical role
- Experience with backfill operations would be considered an asset
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Fluent in English, both written and oral. Fluency in French or Spanish is considered an asset
- A valid driver’s license and willingness to travel
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Excel
- Strong presentation and technical writing skills, especially technical reports
- Experience in training and facilitation would be considered an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills and affinity to work in an operations environment.
- Ability to work safely and productively in an office, industrial or mine environment
- Self-motivated and able to work hard, act professionally and make decisions independently
- Attention to detail and a commitment to technical excellence.
A Career with Paterson & Cooke
Paterson & Cooke is an international specialist engineering firm known for high quality work and exceeding client expectations, often with innovative solutions. Our people enjoy the challenge of living up to this standard daily and a workplace that allows each employee to thrive. In the Sudbury office, we balance a demanding, rewarding workload with consideration for work-life balance. We have a unique work schedule in which we earn every other Friday off. We enjoy the opportunity for time together outside of work with summer BBQ’s, family trips, sports and spur of the moment get togethers to celebrate milestones – or just the end of the week. We encourage employees to expand their knowledge through employer supported training courses and on-site experience. With nine offices covering five continents and an international clientele, P&C provides opportunities for our employees to travel the world. Our size enables our employees to make a difference in the company and opens opportunities for career growth. Our aim is to create an environment in which everyone is pleased to come to work each morning.
Sudbury Application Instructions
Please send the following to Sudbury@PatersonCooke.com (for attention Rob Brown)
Subject Line: Backfill / Process Operations Engineer
- Resume (including GPA scores)
- List of references
- A covering letter explaining why you are the right candidate for the job