Paterson & Cooke
Paterson & Cooke (UK) Ltd. is an industry leading consultant in slurry pipelines, tailings processing and mine backfill. An opportunity has arisen for a graduate / project engineer to join a rapidly growing office in Cornwall. Although training on specialist technical skills will be provided, the individual is expected to be of a calibre where they can undertake project work under direction shortly after joining.
The Graduate / Project Engineer will work on a variety of projects in the mining and resources industry. The work entails the design of slurry pumping and pipeline systems and related equipment, ranging from concept development through to detailed design, commissioning and operational support.
- Hydraulic analysis and design of water and slurry pump and pipeline systems
- Mechanical design and engineering of mining systems, including process plants, pumps, pipelines and
- Selection, specification and evaluation of system components (pumps, piping, valves, etc.)
- Technical communication, including specifications, report writing and presentations
- Laboratory work (slurry and material testing, R&D projects, etc.) as further needs arise
- Project management, including planning and proposals, client liaison and execution of engineering
- Represent the Company in a professional manner
- Contribute as part of a project team and perform tasks in projects
- Continuously develop knowledge, understanding and skills associated with relevant engineering projects,
systems and the mining and resources industries
- Ensure ongoing professional development towards obtaining and maintaining professional registration.
- On-the-job training and development will be provided in specialist technical tasks and skills
- Continuous learning and professional development will be required to remain up-to-date on current
practices and technology
- Once familiar and experienced with the technical aspects, the engineer will be required to take on
increasing responsibility for project work.
The position requires a dynamic engineer who is keen to broaden and develop their skills through active learning, exposure and experience in projects.
You must be an enthusiastic learner keen to master a range of engineering aspects within Paterson & Cooke’s specialist sphere.
Minimum Requirements and Competencies
- B.Eng / M.Eng or similar degree in mechanical / chemical / mining / process engineering completed in the
- Registered or eligible for registration with appropriate engineering body
- Strong computer skills, especially spreadsheets (Excel) and word-processing (Word)
- Strong communication skills, especially technical report writing and oral presentations
- UK citizenship or right to work in the UK and a valid passport
- A valid driving licence
- Able and willing to travel locally and internationally, when required.
Desirable Experience and Competencies
- Site experience or exposure to mining, plant, pump station or pipeline construction
- Knowledge of fluid mechanics, hydraulics, pipelines or pumping systems
- High-level of computing literacy
- Experience or exposure to process design and control or instrumentation
- Experience preparing technical drawings (PFDs, P&IDs, GAs and pipe drawings).
- You must be comfortable working in office as well as industrial and mining site environments
- You act professionally in interactions within the company as well as with clients and suppliers
- You must have above average abilities to meet the technical challenges and high standards set by our
- You will have good analytical and computational skills, as well as the ability to translate these to practical
insight and hands-on applications
- You are able to work and make decisions independently with regard to assigned responsibilities within a
- We expect you to act decisively with confidence and competence in areas of expertise, whilst at the same
time understanding the risks associated with any decisions you make
- You pay attention to detail and have a commitment to technical excellence and client satisfaction.
- Drafting experience not required
- Though not required, please note any language skills on your application.