Paterson & Cooke
Paterson & Cooke (UK) Ltd. is an industry leading, employee owned consultancy which delivers slurry transport solutions to global clients. Our goal is to be the most sought after company delivering specialist engineering to the Mining Industry. We achieve this by continually putting our clients' interests first, providing innovative solutions to complex issues and delivering value at all times. This approach has led to sustained growth and an opportunity for a civil / structural engineer to join the Cornwall Office.
The position requires a dynamic engineer who is keen to apply their skills to potentially novel areas and in time, develop to senior engineer level through active learning, exposure and experience in projects.
The Civil / Structural Engineer will work on a variety of projects in the mining and resources industry. The work will entail design and optimisation of industrial buildings, civil foundations and pipeline supports, along with supporting process engineering disciplines. Once the designs are completed the engineer will create material estimates for construction.
The role would suit either a structural or civil engineer with a broad technical skill base, experience in industrial projects and a commitment to quality.
Minimum requirements and competencies
The following are considered to be minimum requirements:
- B.Eng, M.Eng or similar engineering degree completed in the minimum time, or demonstrable equivalent experience and commitment to learning development
- Registered or eligible for registration with a relevant professional engineering body
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience in software based design and stress analysis of steel buildings or reinforced concrete design
- Strong written and verbal technical communication, including specifications, report writing and presentations
- Demonstrable project management experience, including planning and proposals, client liaison and execution of engineering projects
Desirable Experience and Competencies
The following experiences and competencies are considered desirable and experience in any of the following will support your application:
- Experience in reinforced concrete design
- Experience deriving material estimations and bills of quantities
- International travel experience
- Appreciation of the drivers of the mining industry
- Client liaison experience
- Detailed engineering site supervision and project delivery experience
We believe the following personal characteristics would make for a good fit in the existing team:
- Commitment to quality and a passion for the individual’s field of expertise
- Willingness to learn and expand knowledge
- Rigorous and principal led approach to problem solving
- Comfortable working in an office as well as industrial and mining site environments
- Commitment to acting professionally in interactions within the company as well as with clients and suppliers.
- Above average abilities to meet the technical challenges and high standards set by our company
- Good analytical and computational skills, as well as the ability to translate these to practical insight and hands-on applications
- Ability to work and make decisions independently with regard to assigned responsibilities within a project team.
- Ability to act decisively with confidence and competence in areas of expertise, whilst at the same time understanding the risks associated with any decisions you make
- Commitment to act within the bounds of your own experience and not to make any decisions for which you are not competently qualified or trained
- Attention to detail and a commitment to technical excellence and client satisfaction
On-the-job training and development will be provided in specialist technical tasks and skills.
Continuous learning and professional development will be required to remain up-to-date on current practices and technology.
Once familiar and experienced with the technical aspects, the engineer will be required to take on increasing responsibility for project work, manage projects and interface with clients.
A UK citizenship or right to work in the UK is required with a valid passport.
A valid driving licence is required.
Though not required, please note any language skills on your application.
A career at P&C comes with a number of benefits, including flexible working time, matched pensions contributions, health insurance and potential for employee ownership in time.