Senior Mechanical Engineer (UK)
Paterson & Cooke (UK) Ltd. are industry leading consultants in slurry pipelines, tailings processing and mine backfill. An opportunity has arisen for a senior mechanical engineer to join a rapidly growing office in Redruth, Cornwall. Training on specialist technical skills will be provided, however, the individual will be of a calibre where they can lead project work and support large tenders upon joining. This role will report to the Director of the UK business and the individual is expected to actively contribute to the growth and success of the local and global business.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer works on various projects in the mining and resources industry. The work entails the design of slurry pumping and pipeline systems and related equipment, ranging from concept development through to detailed design, commissioning and operational support.
- Hydraulic analysis and design of water and slurry pump and pipeline systems.
- Mechanical design and engineering of mining systems, including process plants, pumps, pipelines and related infrastructure.
- Selection, specification and evaluation of system components (pumps, piping, valves, instrumentation, etc.).
- Technical communication, including specifications, report writing and presentations.
- Project management, including planning and proposals, client liaison and execution of engineering projects.
- Represent the Company in a professional manner.
- Manage and lead a project team and perform tasks in projects.
- Apply technical knowledge and skills to perform engineering tasks and problem solving in engineering projects.
- Continuously develop your knowledge, understanding and skills associated with relevant engineering projects systems and the mining and resources industries.
- Contribute to company management, administration and line management as required.
- Develop, maintain and manage a client base.
- Be willing to undertake infrequent laboratory work if a need arises.
- Travel independently to represent P&C at client sites.
- On-the-job training and development will be provided in specialist technical tasks and skills.
- Continuous learning and professional development will be required and is supported to remain up-to-date on current practices and technology.
The position requires a dynamic and experienced engineer who is able to make leading technical contributions and manage complex multi-disciplinary projects.
You must have the necessary technical skills to drive the design, engineering and implementation of the mechanical engineering aspects that you are responsible for.
You need a sound understanding of the technical and commercial requirements of projects, as well as good inter-personal skills to manage working and client-consultant relationships in a professional manner.
Essential Requirements and Competencies
- An M. Eng or B.Eng in mechanical engineering completed in the minimum time.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant mechanical engineering experience with at least 5 years in the mineral processing, backfill or mining industries.
- Registered as Professional or Chartered Engineer with the IMechE or equivalent, or actively working towards this status.
- At least 3 years of demonstrated experience in engineering project management and execution.
- Excellent computer skills, especially spreadsheets (Excel) and word-processing (Word).
- Excellent communication skills, especially technical report writing and oral presentations.
- Able and willing to travel globally, when required.
- No criminal record.
- UK citizenship or right to work in the UK and a valid passport.
- A valid driving licence.
Desirable Experience and Competencies
- Site experience or exposure to mining, plant, pump station or pipeline construction.
- Experience in managing large projects, CAPEX and OPEX budgets.
- A background in fluid mechanics, hydraulics, pipelines or pumping systems.
- Experience or exposure to process design and control or instrumentation.
- Experience preparing technical drawings (PFDs, P&IDs, GAs and pipe drawings).
- Experience preparing technical specifications, contract documentation, costing and estimating.
- Experience in international travel.
- Established network of contacts in the European mining industries.
- You must excel working in office, industrial and mining site environments.
- You must have above average abilities to meet the technical challenges and high standards set by our company.
- You will have excellent analytical and computational skills, as well as the ability to translate these to practical insight and hands-on applications.
- You are able to work and make decisions independently with regard to assigned responsibilities within a project team.
- We expect you to act decisively, with confidence and competence in areas of expertise, whilst at the same time understanding the risks associated with any decisions you make.
- We expect you to act within the bounds of your own experience and to not make any decisions for which you are not competently qualified or trained for.
- You pay attention to detail and have a commitment to technical excellence and client satisfaction.
Drafting experience not required.
Though not required, please note any language skills on your application.
Please send curriculum vitae and covering letter to: Cornwall@PatersonCooke.com