Project Mechanical Engineer (UK)
Paterson & Cooke (UK) Ltd. is an industry leading consultant in slurry pipelines, tailings processing and mine backfill. An opportunity has arisen for an intermediate mechanical engineer to join a rapidly growing office in Redruth, Cornwall. Training on specialist technical skills will be provided, the individual is expected to be of a calibre where they can undertake project work under direction shortly after joining.
The Project Mechanical Engineer will work on a variety of projects in the mining and resources industry. The work entails the design of slurry pumping and pipeline systems and related equipment, ranging from concept development through to detailed design, commissioning and operational support.
- Hydraulic analysis and design of water and slurry pump and pipeline systems.
- Mechanical design and engineering of mining systems, including process plants, pumps, pipelines and related infrastructure.
- Selection, specification and evaluation of system components (pumps, piping, valves, etc.).
- Technical communication, including specifications, report writing and presentations.
- Laboratory work (slurry and material testing, R&D projects, etc.) as further needs arise.
- Project management, including planning and proposals, client liaison and execution of engineering projects.
- Represent the Company in a professional manner.
- Contribute as part of a project team and perform tasks in projects.
- Apply technical knowledge and skills to perform engineering tasks and problem solving in engineering projects.
- Continuously develop knowledge, understanding and skills associated with relevant engineering projects, systems and the mining and resources industries.
- Ensure ongoing professional development towards obtaining and maintaining professional registration.
- Develop, maintain and manage a client base.
- On-the-job training and development will be provided in specialist technical tasks and skills.
- Continuous learning and professional development will be required to remain up-to-date on current practices and technology.
Once familiar and experienced with the technical aspects, the engineer will be required to take on increasing responsibility for project work, manage projects and interface with clients.
The position requires a dynamic engineer who is keen to broaden their skills and in time, develop to senior engineer level through active learning, exposure and experience in projects.
You must be an enthusiastic learner keen to master the mechanical engineering aspects of slurry pumps, pipelines and related systems.
Minimum Requirements and Competencies
- Eng, M.Eng or similar degree in mechanical engineering completed in the minimum time.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant engineering experience with at least 2 years in a consulting, mineral processing, backfill or mining environment.
- Registered or eligible for registration with the IMechE or equivalent engineering body.
- Strong computer skills, especially spreadsheets (Excel) and word-processing (Word).
- Strong communication skills, especially technical report writing and oral presentations.
- UK citizenship or right to work in the UK and a valid passport.
- A valid driving licence.
- Able and willing to travel locally and internationally, when required.
Desirable Experience and Competencies
- Site experience or exposure to mining, plant, pump station or pipeline construction.
- A background in fluid mechanics, hydraulics, pipelines or pumping systems.
- High-level of computing literacy.
- Experience or exposure to process design and control or instrumentation.
- Experience preparing technical drawings (PFDs, P&IDs, GAs and pipe drawings).
- Experience preparing technical specifications, contract documentation, costing and estimating.
- You must be comfortable working in office as well as industrial and mining site environments.
- You act professionally in interactions within the company as well as with clients and suppliers.
- You must have above average abilities to meet the technical challenges and high standards set by our company.
- You will have good analytical and computational skills, as well as the ability to translate these to practical insight and hands-on applications.
- You are able to work and make decisions independently with regard to assigned responsibilities within a project team.
- We expect you to act decisively with confidence and competence in areas of expertise, whilst at the same time understanding the risks associated with any decisions you make.
- We expect you to act within the bounds of your own experience and to not make any decisions for which you are not competently qualified or trained for.
- You pay attention to detail and have a commitment to technical excellence and client satisfaction.
Drafting experience not required.
Though not required, please note any language skills on your application.
Please send curriculum vitae and covering letter to: Cornwall@PatersonCooke.com